What Should You Do If You Can’t Write Your College Essay?
Getting stuck during any phase of the essay writing process can bring on headaches. From coming up with a thesis to citing your sources, there are many opportunities where someone can get stuck. No need to fear, help is out there!
What to Do If You Need Help
First, you need to identify the problem. Are you having trouble coming up with a thesis or concepts? Are you getting stuck trying to organize your thoughts? Does your essay sound to plain and you want to jazz it up? Are you having trouble finding the right words to express your thoughts? Do you know how to properly cite your sources? Before you can receive any kind of assistance on your essay, you need to pinpoint the problem.
Next, know where to go to get help with your essay writing problem. Here are some options to explore:
- The writing center- Upper level college students and teaching assistants will be able to help you with a variety of common writing problems college students stumble upon.
- The librarian- Sometimes it is not the writing part that is difficult bit instead the research part. Online research is very common these days and your college librarian will be able to point you in the right direction on where to find materials. They can also show you more effective ways to research. Keep in mind that many colleges have a librarian online 24/7 to assist you.
- Online writing services- Many online writing services exist and offer a variety of services to students such as proofreading and editing. Some will actually write the paper for you. Be mindful of going down that road as it is considered academic dishonesty.
- Hire a freelancer- A professional freelancer can do the same things an online writing service does and many times at a fraction of the cost.
What Not To Do
- Do not panic- Students tend to panic when they hit a bump while writing their college essay. Students who are new to writing essays in general also panic very easily.
- Do not change your topic- Sometimes students assume that the reason they cannot write their essay is because they have a bad topic. This may not be the case at all. Examine the problem first.
- Do not procrastinate- As soon as you realize you are having difficulty, seek assistance.