using appropriate tone
Tone in writing is an important feature. It helps the writer convey a particular message to the reader which has a certain effect on them. Tone is defined as a conveyed attitude or emotion toward the “subject and the reader.” It is appropriate you utilize the correct tone across your paper. It helps in keeping communication clear and to achieve the desired results of your papers message. There are several factors one should consider before choosing the tone of your work. These factors include:
- You have to know for what purpose you are writing the paper
- Who the audience is
- What you want the readers to get out of the essay
If you need help in determining the tone of your work, here a few tips you should utilize to help in the decision making process:
- A collegiate paper should always be fairly formal. Do not utilize slang words, and regional dialect. Formal language can be modified when you are writing for an audience of your peers. Avoid flowery and passive language as well.
- Do not be too formal. Use language your audience will understand. Do not try too hard to utilize big words, the average person could not understand. Your writing should always appear natural. While you are not utilizing a conversational tone, do not be afraid to include contractions here and there.
- Always remain positive. No matter the subject, or your stance on the issue, you should always remain positive in your writing.
- The tone of your work should always be professional grade and courteous. Such a tone will convey strength and confidence to your readers, This makes it more likely that they will agree or accept your message. You have to find the proper balance of these things otherwise you may appear overly confident, or demanding, which could have a negative impact on your readers.
- Honesty and sincerity are important as well. You have to build trust between yourself and the reader. If they believe you are writing about the truth, then you can accomplish more than if they detect dishonesty.
- Take you time. Do not rush the writing process. More time means a better more thought out piece. Do your research and become knowledgeable about the subject matter. This will help you to express your ideas and convey a well thought out message to your readers.